Environmental and Sustainability Policy
Our aim: Impulse Leisure's mission is to "create active and healthy communities". This can only be achieved by taking the future wellbeing of our staff, organisation, customers, community, country and the World seriously. This policy aims to put environmental and sustainability issues at the forefront of our decision making processes to ensure we achieve our mission. We recognise that our operations result in emissions to air and water, and the generation of waste. It is our aim to reduce the environmental impacts of our business and to operate in an environmentally responsible manner. This policy describes how we will achieve our aim.
Who we are: Impulse Leisure operates 7 Leisure Centres, a Golf Course, outdoor pitches and the Civic Hall at 7 locations (Corringham, Grays and South Ockendon) in Thurrock, Essex and (Southwick, Lancing, Shoreham and Storrington) West Sussex. Our main activities include operating swimming pools, sports halls, fitness suites, a golf course, driving range and function venues.
Impulse Leisure’s Environmental and Sustainability Policy:
- Comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice from within and outside of our sector.
- Comply with and remain up to date with all laws and regulations that affect all aspects of our business.
- Integrate environment and sustainability considerations into all our business decisions and ensure those ideas are included within our business plan and that each idea has an owner.
- Ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Environment and Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it. We will reward new ideas (see Staff Suggestion Scheme and Reward and Recognition Policy).
- Minimise unnecessary office and transportation activities to reduce the impact on the environment and improve sustainability.
- Make clients and suppliers aware of our policy, and encourage them to adopt sound management practices by publishing the policy in communal areas and sharing our policies with them directly.
- Review, report annually, and continually strive to improve our environmental and sustainability performance, setting relevant objectives in Annual Plans at the beginning of each year.
- Commit to continual improvement and prevention of pollution.
We will deliver our policy by:
- Designating energy conservation as a key organisational objective.
- Monitoring and reducing utility consumption by a minimum of 2% annually until 2019.
- Instigating energy conservation within the working procedures of the Company and staff duties.
- Undertaking staff awareness campaigns and promoting positive staff involvement, however where possible remove human intervention.
- Including energy management within all staff inductions & training programmes.
- Including energy life-cycle costing within equipment procurement procedures.
- Monitoring energy performance and publishing achievements using the Display Energy Certificate (DEC).
- Continuing to work with others to identify best practice, further usage efficiencies and delivering continuous improvement.
- Reviewing performance and objectives regularly at executive level.
- Reducing the generation of general and special waste.
- Informing customers and suppliers of our commitment to reducing environmental impact.
- Applying best practice guidelines specific for each temperature-controlled area to maximise efficiency and customer comfort.
- Endeavouring to obtain energy from renewable resources.
- Controlling all forms of waste, be it leakage of water, or other substance that has no further commercial value.
- Purchasing equipment or supplies that are renewable, have been, or can be recycled.
- Continually researching options for further energy usage reduction schemes e.g. Combined Heat and Power units, solar power, wind turbines etc.
- Achieving and maintaining ISO 14001 standard.
This Policy is available on request. If you wish to obtain a copy or would like to discuss progress against our objectives, please contact Mike Baden on (01375) 385363.